FALLING FOR AUTUMN Harvest Activities in Haverhill
SLIDE SHOW – LIFE CYCLE OF A PUMPKIN PHOTOGRAPHED by Alison Colby-Campbell at CRESCENT FARM
The leaves are paling and falling off my basil plants, the tomatoes are mostly gone, and the few hearty cabbage, kale, and a late budding brussel sprouts plant are contemplating when to call it a season and drop to the ground. The end of the season could lead to wistfulness and anxiety as winter approaches. But the Heartbeat of Haverhill knows that in our city the best way to forget that fall is that brief glorious interlude before a cold harsh winter is to keep so active enjoying what the season has to offer that you don’t even notice the dipping temperatures. In Haverhill, our farms offer a virtual cornucopia of reasons to get outside and enjoy the harvest. We undoubtedly missed some opportunities, so please add the events we missed to the comments section of this blog. Times and hours change; please call ahead.
CHRIS’ FARMSTAND SLIDE SHOW
- Pumpkin Festival October Weekends only 10am-4pm (Farmstand is daily)
- Pony Rides for the little kids
- Hay Rides pulled by tractors
- Young person’s Maze
- BBQ offered up by Sho Nuf BBQ fresh off its appearance at the Topsfield Fair. THOH never never cared for BBQ until I tried the Sho Nuf BBQ at the Pumpkin Festival last year! Admittedly I went to their Fair Booth twice this year.
- Face Painting Spooky, pretty or cute, your choice
- Games for kids of all ages, but mostly the young ones
- Farm Animals
- Tractors on display
- Hay Castle
- Local Arts and Crafts
- Bring your camera for outstanding Photo Opportunities
CRESCENT FARM SLIDESHOW
Crescent Farm http://www.crescentfarm.com/
140 Willow Avenue Bradford, MA 01835 978-914-3158
Haverhill’s Crescent Farms is one of the largest farms in the state covering 350 acres, not all of which is contiguous.
- New England Tractor Pull Off Championship Oct 26 FREE to the public
- Corn Maze (Good for all ages, capable of being completed in 40 minutes or so)
- Haunted Corn Maze
- Haunted Hay Ride
- Pumpkin Picking
- Ice Cream/Cider/Apple Cider Donuts and Hotdogs available at the Stand
- Farm Animals: Geese, Goats, Cows and a Horse
FAY’S FARM SLIDE SHOW
Fay’s Farm (no website or Facebook Page) 120 Amesbury Line Road, Haverhill, MA 978-373-4874
Fay’s Farm a staple at the Farmers Market in September and October is mostly an orchard run by Diane and Jim Fay. And they know their strengths so they specialize in mostly apples and peaches
- Apples a variety of types for folks that want an apple not an adventure.
- Apple Picking
- Cider Get the Gallon; it’s that good.
KIMBALL FARM SLIDE SHOW
Kimball Farm http://www.kimballfarmcornmaze.com/index.html
Maze Address: 780 East Broadway, Haverhill, MA 01830 1(866) 965-5262
- Corn Mazes by daylight, moonlight and flashlight. They are challenging for all ages.
- A separate Haunted Maze.
- Hay rides (and sleigh rides)
- The only Giant Tube Slide we’d ever seen (good for adults and kids (but maybe not so much claustrophobes.)
- Gift Shop/Farm Stand on site with Kimball’s own maple syrup, pumpkins, Kimball’s own meats and t-shirts, etc.
- Farm Animals and exotics: pigs, llamas, bison and more.
The day we went, we got to help catch escape artist pigs. These crazy smart animals not only dug their way out, but once loose they encouraged other pigs to go on the lam with them. Now this certainly isn’t something everyone gets to experience but we were more than happy to help rein them in with drop apples and by acting as human blocks until the professionals came on site.
ROGERS SPRING HILL FARM SLIDE SHOW
133 Neck Rd., Haverhill, MA 01835 978-372-4780
- Apple Picking Sat/Sun 10-5 in October
- Pumpkin Picking Sat/Sun 10-5 in October. This farm gives you the option of picking a pumpkin in the field or picking out a pumpkin at the garden center.
- Family Fall Festival OCT 19 10AM-4PM Particpant held @ JAFFARIAN AUTO 600 RIVER ST, Haverhill PAINT PUMPKINS EAT FUN BOUNCE HOUSE
- Farm Tours and Field Trips educational and fun
- Farm Animals
- Rogers Spring Hill Garden Center offers plants, classes, and some produce around the corner on Rt 125 in Bradford
- You can also order Fire Wood
Not all harvest activities take place in the fields…..
WALNUT SQUARE SCHOOL FALL FESTIVAL, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Walnut-Square-School-PTO/267197356720380 at the Walnut Square School, 645 Main St, Haverhill. Sunday October 20 12 noon-3pm (rain date October 27). All proceeds benefit students of the Walnut Square School
- Paint a pumpkin
- Spooky Maze
- Story Corner
- Face Painting
- Coat Drive (Make room in your closet by donating clean coats you no longer wear)
- Bake Sale
- Basket Raffles
- Food and More!
WALNUT SQUARE SCHOOL FALL FEST Oct 20 noon – 3pm Photos courtesy of the PTO
Haverhill has so much to offer no matter what the season; I guess you could say our city is well seasoned.
BTW IF YOU LIKE THIS BLOG POST PLEASE SHARE IT ON FACEBOOK AND ALL OTHE SOCIAL MEDIA OUTLETS & FIND THE “FOLLOW” LINK ON THE PAGE TO ALWAYS BE NOTIFIED OF MORE GOOD NEWS. COMMENTS ON THIS POST OR FOR IDEAS FOR FUTURE POSTS ALWAYS WELCOME.
© 2013 Text and Photos by Alison Colby-Campbell